Why are all URLs classified as uncategorized?
Web Security and Filter
7.0, 7.1, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, 8.0
When I run testlogserver, websenseping, or the URL Category tool in Websense Manager (v7), all URLs are classified as "uncategorized".
This behavior can be caused by the following conditions:
- The Master URL Database is corrupted or has not been updated in 14 days:
Follow the instructions in this KB article: Why can't Websense download the current database update?
- Also check that you are able to reach the relevant Websense database URLs and that if you are downloading via an internal proxy, that it too can reach them.
- The filtering service has just been restarted:
The filtering service takes some time to fully load. Wait for 3-5 minutes.
- You have exceeded your subscription:
- The server where the Filtering Service resides is experiencing a DNS-related issue:
Do the following to confirm and then resolve the DNS issue.
- Run the nslookup utility against the URL. For example: "nslookup www.yahoo.com".
- Run the ping utility against the URL. For example: "ping www.yahoo.com" .
Note: The nslookup and ping utilities are the main tools for indicating a DNS issue. A failure in the results of running these tools against the URL indicates a DNS issue.
- Run WebsensePing or the URL Category tool (v7) against the URL and then against the IP address of the site. A correct result for the tests against the IP indicates a DNS issue.
- Visit a blocked site using its IP address instead of its URL. A successful block also confirms a DNS issue.
The last two steps listed above are secondary ways of indicating a DNS issue.